Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Surprise Visitor Dressed In Red

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"I once has a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."

House Finch

  Maggie and I had a surprise visitor yesterday after UJ (Uncle John) left. A beautiful bird dressed in red and brown appeared on our fence. He paused there while he looked into our house. Was he looking at Maggie sleeping on the floor? Our parakeets Tommy and Jerry were singing. Maybe this house finch stopped by to pay his respects to them? This was the first time this kind of bird has appeared near our house or in our neighborhood. There were a pair of sparrows flitting about in the trees near him. Maybe he was visiting them? Unsuccessfully I tried to take his photo. In a flash our visitor was gone! Maggie snoozed through his brief visit. It was a very special moment in time watching this house finch on our fence. Like Thoreau, I felt distinguished this bird paid us a visit. When Maggie woke up she felt distinguished too when I told her the story of our surprise visitor dressed in red. Reminds me of another visitor we once had, the blue jay who walked into our house, but that's another special story....for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment