Monday, June 11, 2012

John Wayne: Real Man, Fine Man, A Man I Could Love

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."


  Today Maggie and I pay homage to John Wayne. A real man, fine man, a man we could love. An American hero. It's the anniversary of John Wayne's death. He was a patriot that died on a patriotic day; D-Day. Besides Gary Cooper, John Wayne was my childhood movie star idol. I'd play like a cowgirl, and never act like a sissy. We called it "buck up" if someone was getting squeamish. I admired his toughness. When I was a child little girls we're suppose to be "girly" not gritty. If I wanted to run with the boys I had to have courage. Courage when I was scared to death as I climbed to the top of trees, or jumped off buildings. I never thought I could hurt myself if I kept that "can do" attitude exemplified by John Wayne. In college my roommate and I use to say "we want a real man, true man, fine man, a man we could love". The kind of guy we wanted had a spine like John Wayne. I know these traits are appealing to Maggie too. Maggie and I can be "girly", but we like to adventure. We want to surround ourselves with a man who saddles up anyway, even if being scared to death. Maybe one day he'll ride into town and say to us "Howdy Pilgrims."


Maggie ready to saddle up

No comments:

Post a Comment