Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Free Bird Juri "Because I Can"

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." 

Meeting Galvin: Juri's service dog

Galvin looking attentively (with love) at Juri

  It is Tuesday. Love day. Once in awhile we get to experience something really incredible. The gift of the human spirit in action. This happened to me when I met Juri and her service dog Galvin. I'm sorry MaggieMoose missed out. It's ok, I told her all about it this wonderful meeting of spirits when I got home. Last week when my daughter and I went to Cafe Borrone I met a contented Golden Lab dog named Galvin. He was laying at his master's feet. Her name is Juri. Bubbly and friendly are two words to describe Juri. I loved meeting her and of course Galvin. Her service dog Galvin kind of liked me too. Galvin is Juri's Canine Companion for Independence. She received Galvin from the wonderful group: Canine Companions for Independence in Santa Rosa, CA. You see, Juri has Lou Gehrig's disease otherwise known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or ALS. This is a debilitating disease made easier with someone special like Galvin. He's more than a one trick pony. Don't let Galvin's young age of three years old fool you. Galvin hands out Juri's credit card for purchases (she loves to shop), he opens the refrigerator (thirsty?), picks up dropped items (oops), helps with the elevator (which floor?) and so much more. I loved Galvin from the first meeting of our souls. He wanted to check me out too. I think he smelled MaggieMoose on me.
Galvin closeup
Juri captured my heart. She is so enthusiastic. I call Juri a Free Bird like the song from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not only does her spirit soar high up above the clouds, but her body does too. Juri sky dived to raise money for a cure for ALS. When Juri is down here on the ground Galvin helps her soar like the free bird she is. I think Juri plays the cards dealt her very well indeed. I witnessed this in action due to her attitude of "Because I can." 

Juri & Galvin

Juri & Galvin as we bid them farewell for now

SEE Juri sky dive on YouTube: Skydiving For Young Faces Of ALS

READ about Juri & Galvin in THE NUGGET

MaggieMoose gives Juri & Galvin a very big WOOF WOOF for all that's good in life!






No comments:

Post a Comment