Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Elusive And Mysterious Two Birds Blue

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"Birds are the most popular group in the animal kingdom. We feed them and tame then and think we know them. And yet they inhabit a world which is really rather mysterious."


  Maggie sat quietly in the corner of the yard looking up. I could see a quizzical look on her face. I'm thinking to myself what is she looking at? She just sat there very still and continued to look up towards the trees. She never barked. Where Maggie sat lies our fence line bordered by trees. These trees were once small, skinny saplings and now they are tall, tall trees. Many different birds seek shelter in them. I called Maggie inside. Then my curiosity got the better of me. I went back outside with Maggie to where she had sat and looked up. Wow. A blue colored bird sat there very still next to a big nest in the tree. I ran inside to get my point & shoot camera. I started taking photos the best I could with its small range zoom. The next thing I know is another of the same kind of bird flies back to the nest. The second bird hopped in the nest. This bird also was blue colored all over with a darker colored head that blended into the blue. 
nest & bird

The first bird continued to guard the nest. It made me think of Maggie and who says bird dogs can't befriend birds? Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of bird this is? I Googled bird images without much luck. 

Thanks to Maggie I got into this "mysterious bird" search which led me to Project Feeder Watch by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Their headline read "Embrace the winter. Count feeder birds for science!" I told Maggie No-we're too busy! She looked back at me with those pleading puppy-dog eyes. OK, I give, we'll do it. Looks like Maggie and I are going to be counting birds for science. We sent our $15 dollars in to get our research bird feeder kit. When it arrives we will report online how many birds come to our feeder. The project starts Nov. 10th (2nd Saturday of November) and goes through the first Friday of April 2013. Anyone else care to join us in counting birds for research? You might get some good photos! By the way, if anyone knows what kind of birds these are please let us know. It's still rather mysterious. 






No comments:

Post a Comment