Friday, December 28, 2012

MaggieMoose Sings Blue Christmas

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"Be it jewel or toy, not the prize gives the joy, but the striving to win the prize."

Maggie's Christmas presents

  On Christmas morning Maggie was excited for she had some toys under the Christmas tree. All of us adults waited to open our presents till after Maggie had opened hers. The best toy she liked was the rubber Hide-A-Squirrel dog toy. This was a puzzle toy. Past tense.



Inside the yellow tree stump was a hard rubber squeaky squirrel. The object was to retrieve the squirrel toy through the tree stump's openings. Maggie had that solved in record time. A little rip here and a little rip there and out the squirrel came. Bad news. I had to take the tree stump away from her. Maggie was not happy to lose her tree stump. She relished shaking and chewing on the stump. I felt lousy for I took the sport out of the toy by removing the biggest part of it. Sometimes life happens. It was reminiscent of those times when I remember my parents telling me "....it's for your own good...." Sorry Maggie.


Now Maggie was left with the squeaky and modernistic looking squirrel. She carried the squirrel around and she squeaked it, all the time crying. We had never heard Maggie cry before. She's generally a happy girl. It was surprising to hear the crying; was it over the squirrel or the missing tree stump? It's still a mystery. 



Maggie took her squirrel and went to her cozy bed. Throughout the day Maggie carried the squirrel around and cried on and off. If I threw the toy for playing she chased it and carried it back crying. It reminded me of Moaning Myrtle in the J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books. For awhile, we hid the toy and Maggie happily played with other toys. Later when I gave the squirrel back to her the crying subsided. She loves the squirrel toy. I'm not sure if she thinks about the tree stump the squirrel once lived in or not. I do know that Maggie loves the thrill of the chase in order to get the prize. Now the prize lives next to her bed or in her mouth, instead of a tree stump. She still sings the blues every now and then. It's an odd thing, but one we'll live with, because I know Maggie's happy. 


17 comments: