Monday, May 28, 2012

Anchors Away

Maggie's pawsability thought for the day:
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things."

Where my dad lies-retired US Navy

  Today is Memorial Day. I salute my father who served in the US Navy for 28 years. My father's brother died in Guadalcanal during WWII while serving aboard a ship in the US Navy. Afterwards, my father lied about his young age of 16 years, and like many others enlisted the US Navy. He served on ships in the Pacific fleet during WWII. His career in the US Navy took him around the world. Some of my youth was surrounded by young Navy men my mom & dad had adopted and brought home, because their families were miles away. We had many holidays with these "uncles" from the US Navy. When the photo in this blog circulated in an email (highlighting the eagle on the headstone) I discovered that this was the exact cemetery my father was buried in. I attended his military funeral. They handed me the flag from his casket folded up. My dad would like this photo being circulated. He was very social. He'd want his buddies, and all the women that served in all the services remembered. My dad knew that a ship in a port isn't meant to stay in the safety of the harbor, but to go out to sea and do new things....
To all our military we salute you! Thanks for serving!

Maggie and Me
PLAY: US Navy Anchors Away by Morman Tabernacle Choir
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment