Friday, August 19, 2011

The Winds of Change

  Our home life will be changing as the winds of change are quickly approaching. One daughter  leaves next week heading back to finish her last year in college, while another daughter heads out to start a new life elsewhere the following week. Tomorrow Maggie and I go for for her pre-screening for animal therapy. I'm finding these changes are both scary and exciting at the same time. 


  At the pre-screening Maggie & I are considered a team. I've been told sometimes the dog passes and the owner flunks! A little bit of pressure for both of us. I haven't told Maggie about the pressure part yet. 


  I'm thankful Maggie is in my life. She'll be my rock as I lose my baby girls into their adulthood lives. I still see them even at 21 yrs old, as my 7 or 8 yrs old swimming at the swim meets, going on school field trips, or being on vacation at Coffee Creek Dude Ranch. My lens for viewing my girls is kaleidoscopic; I see them in colors of the past, the present and the future.


  Meanwhile, Maggie has grown like wildfire. She's a puppy with the body of a dog. Inside she has the temperament of a teenager. She swings from the sweet side to the wild, glazed eyed look of impulses firing on all cylinders side. Maggie will keep me busy, but I'll lament my little girls being gone as I cheer them into their adulthood. 


It looks like it's time to stretch ourselves Maggie and I. My girls too. We'll take a deep breath of new and ever changing air and face forward. As I always tell all my girls: no guts, no glory. 
I love you all!

1 comment: