Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet." Will Rogers

  When I was considering getting a new puppy my life was full of work, school, and much too much seriousness and not enough exercise or socialization. My life in a bubble left me just kind of floating along. I was drawn to Maggie's photos online in the pet ad, but I wasn't ready to commit to getting a puppy. After another litter fell through (a litter not yet born), Maggie's magnetism drew me back. I made the leap of faith, like saying "hi" to a stranger who becomes a friend. I committed to change my life by adopting Maggie. I felt excited, blissful, joyful. Maggie was a stranger, but I knew there was something special about her.

  Maggie has a special way of drawing people to her like a magnet. It reminds me of the Will Rogers quote about strangers & friends. My dad and grandfather were great believers in this credo for living. I shouldn't be surprised that it rubbed off on me too. Before Maggie, I'd forgotten my about enthusiastic spark of meeting and greeting. Now thanks to my dog's breeder Sharon it's rubbed off on my dog Maggie, my moose of a girl at 42 lbs. Wherever I go, people walk up, jog up, cycle up, or cross the intersection in their cars just to come talk to me about my English Springer Spaniel dog Maggie.

  Those first beginnings of socialization are so important to set the tone for the way of looking at life. Thank you Sharon (my breeder) for putting the love of life and family into your dogs and puppies through your extensive socialization. The spark of gentleness in their souls shines through your dogs who are eagerly awaiting to greet others in a loving & welcoming manner. These dogs are pure love bugs who will infect you with their love potion.

  Since Maggie, I've met folks coast to coast who own puppies from Sharon, and other folks that just start talking to me because of my beautiful dog. If I wanted to stay in a social shell it'd be impossible. Maggie crushes social shells like she shreds her stuffed toys! Maggie's jaws of life help me breathe new life everyday I wake up! Thank you Maggie.

  For me, it was getting a puppy that was the catalyst to change and rock my world. As I consider the positive changes in my life, I know in my heart that if I or others continue to get off the couch and go outside, the the magic of socialization will happen. Will Rogers had it in a nutshell, there's lots of strangers waiting to be friends. Just say "hi".

No comments:

Post a Comment