Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Like a Toddler....

  It's hard to believe I'm living with a four pawed shredder. I thought after my kids passed their toddler stage I was free from the eagle eye observation of children. Well, enter Miss Maggie, my four pawed toddler. She has become a shredding machine at 8 months. In hindsight, I think she was safer as a young puppy due to her baby jaw or teeth's lack of concrete biting and shredding.
  Now as Maggie matures her strength comes to the forefront. First it was the soft squeaky toys that met their demise out of the toy bin. Then it was the mattress pad from the crate. My only clue that the mattress pad was dangerous was when its green fuzzy guts were vomited by the shredding machine named Maggie. 
  The Nylabone still survives intact, but for Maggie there's nothing like a toy to sink her teeth in made from rope or cloth. I've thrown so many toys out it's hard to keep up with the new. The latest toy made with circles of rubber and rope has in a short time succumb to Maggie's iron jaws. The little plastic thing covering the rope portion was chewed off the first day. The rope is breaking down too. 
  I don't even want to mention when she goes outside; no stick, rock or clump of dirt is safe from her jaws. Sticks to Maggie are like caviar, escargot or a good brie on french bread for appetizers....maybe dessert visions of strawberry shortcake or apple pie. I'm not sure how she visions these delicacies, because she'll eat them before and after dinner or in between.
  Enter in the stuff-less raccoon toy. Maggie loves this toy. It has survived Maggie for 5 days. She can squeak its head and tail without ripping it apart at the seams. It seemed like such a weak toy, but what a fan favorite.


  As I had forgotten that toddlers prefer the least complex toys in life, now it's the simplest toy catching Maggie's fancy for hours. I will continue to keep my eyes peeled on my big girl Maggie to ensure she isn't choking on toy guts, barfing up stuffing, or ripping things apart that aren't safe for her. At least one toy is working; the flat, unassuming raccoon toy. 

As I continue to buy stronger, and better toys with trepidation that they too became objects of the dreaded shreddation of Maggie I'll keep my fingers crossed that her iron jaws and teeth of titanium steel will have no effect. Alas, the furniture still stands. Yes to the power of the toy bin! Now, if I can only fill it with toys of non-destructibility I can sleep at night ensured Maggie is sleeping safely too.

Addendum: The rope & rubber circle toy is no more. The rope circle is FINI! Maggie chewed dangerously through it. She is now left with twin circles of rubber sans rope. Official name "The Toddler Annihilator!"

  One month after writing about the raccoon toy Maggie shredded its tail end, removed the plastic squeaker part and almost swallowed it before I caught her in the act!

  I then upgraded the toy level to the Pig Extra Tuff Dog Toy. The pig is now missing its tail ( I had to cut it off for safety). Maggie also went on to eat one ear! Geez, the "tuff dog toy" isn't safe for my dog. She's not even a large size dog of the protective breeds!

  Maggie's continued favorite toys not mentioned earlier in this blog are  Penn tennis balls. They are the most durable toy Maggie continues to safely enjoy of the soft, fuzzy variety! Maggie does try to destroy these tennis balls, but like the test car dummies these balls live on.... Maggie gives  Penn tennis balls a four paw review for; excellence, durability, likability, and its American made! Thank you Penn!

No comments:

Post a Comment